Sunday, July 3, 2016

adidas CrazyLight Boost 2016

The last adidas that I wore were a pair of Superstar SS2G lows and that probably 10 year ago. That was the perfect pair for me considering we were playing outdoors so the traction, support and freedom of a low top rolled into a pair. On my third pair there was a change in the overall structure of the SS2G. Both the upper and cushioning became stiff (even if it had the same specs as my previous pairs) and I went on to sell them. I've stayed away from the 3 stripes for on-court shoes for the past decade.

Then Boost happened.

I've heard some great feedback on the UltraBoost that it was the most comfortable shoes that you can wear especially if you are visiting a theme park. I know it wasn't intended to be used that way but that's exactly what I was looking for. Another pair that received great lifestyle shoe feedback is the NMD, again having the same Boost cushioning. A friend bought the Wiggins 2.5 CrazyLight and gave it a thumbs up.

Finally a full length Boost releases with the CrazyLight Boost 2016 and I am not going to let this pass. I have to try what a lot of sneakerheads a raving about....Boost.

CUSHIONING
Let's start off with the main point of the review Cushioning = Boost. Make that Full Length Boost.
This technology is what put adidas back in the map in the lifestyle shoe wear and could challenge Nike and UA in the basketball shoe market.

The Boost cushioning is awesome! That should sum up the entire technology. From the first time I wore it until I was running and down the court. The cushioning was firm that it provides the needed support but soft that makes it very comfortable. My foot was a little higher to the ground than usual (comparing it with years of using Kobes) but it wasn't a deal breaker. The impact from jumping, stepping and running is easily absorbed by the Full Length Boost compound and it makes it an instant winner.

Full Length Boost
















TRACTION
Aside from that Boost technology applied to this pair, traction is the other strength of the CrazyLight Boost 2016. I've seen adidas shoes (running, cross training, basketball etc.) with the Continental sole to pair with the Boost cushioning. The Triple White CrazyLight Boost 2016 has that same durable Continental paired with it. That plus the herringbone-like pattern provides the CrazyLight Boost 2016 excellent traction. I played on a smooth cement court but never had issues cutting, changing directions or stopping. No slipping and never had a hard time breaking into a sprint from complete stop. The grip was just awesome and could rival the Kobe 9. Now I have to test if I will get the same results on a wooden court.

Multi-directional Pattern




















UPPER
My pair wasn't the Primeknit finish that rivals that Flyknit of Nike but I like the construction of the Jacquard upper. It gives the needed support on your entire forefoot and at the same time provides breathability to your feet. This is important especially in the Philippines where the weather can be hot.

The Primeknit might be more comfortable that the Jacquard bit I am satisfied with this.

Jacquard Upper
















SUPPORT
Aside from the Boost cushioning there are other support areas provided in the CrazyLight Boost. One is lateral outrigger to cage the Boost on the forefoot and provide lateral support. It is not protruding like the KDs or Kobes but it gives enough lateral support when you need to shift from one side to another. The heel counter that is made of TPU ensures that there is a heel lockdown. This is supported by a neoprene collar for the added heel lockdown support. adidas threw in a torsional support that should give the wearer a better heel to toe transition. However, it wasn't as effective (at least for me) as the UA Anatomix 1/2. But this is a great additional support system -- especially for me -- to avoid my arch to collapse given the softness of Boost.

I did experience same heel slippage on my initial run. I felt like the shoe was going to come off while I was running or going to the basket. That neoprene collar definitely prevented that from happening. I re-laced my shoes giving it a little more tug. That helped secure my foot and remove the heel slippage.

TPU Heel Counter and Neoprene Collar
















FIT
I initially ordered a Sz 9.5 which is my usual size in the Kobes. After fitting, I decided to go half a size smaller as the CrazyLight Boost 2016 seems to be running long. The forefoot area was a little narrow that expected when I started playing but did not cause any discomfort. After a couple of runs on the court I felt the fit to be much better than the start. I wore this with a pair of Nike Elite 1.0 socks and it was snug as I wanted it to be.

If you have wide feet you might want to go a half size bigger because it runs narrow on the forefoot. But you will have some space in the toe box area.

OVERALL
It was more than what I expected for a pair of adidas shoes. The Full Length Boost technology used was as advertised. Cushion and comfort but does not sacrifice support. As I've said earlier, traction is another strength of the shoe. It definitely beats the Kobe 11 in that area. The only negative I can say about this pair is that it's on the heavier side of a low top shoe.

If you are looking for a great performing low top shoe and the Kobe 11, KD9, Curry 2 and Lebron 13s have too much of a price tag then you can definitely pick a pair of the CrazyLight Boost 2016. It's currently retailing for P7,995 at www.titan22.com or any adidas store.







2 comments: